Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Kozhe Soup

I sincerely don’t want to offend Kazakh people but there’s no way to not present as xenophobic in this entry. This is kozhe soup. It’s a seasonal delicacy. Full of clumps and lumps. Warm, yogurty milk. Overboiled noodles, lots of salt, chunks of congealed, slurpy horse fat, rice or oats, and a few items I’d rather not know about. Example: those aren’t olives floating around in there. Be sure to 'click' on these images so you can examine the clumps, grit, gel, and oscillating layers.

Prepared at home, lugged out to the park in 10 gallon increments, and sold by the communal bowl; that is, they wipe out the bowl used by the last customer and then fill it up for you. Oh, yeah; no spoon--you gotta wrap your lips around that bowl. Mmmm.
But I had some yesterday. It’s not bad. But I’d be lying if I said it was good. So, as a culinary critic, not a xenophobe, I’m saying if you get a chance to sample Kozhe, take a pass.

No comments: