Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Hiking at Chimbulak

A couple of weeks ago we headed up to the mountains to check out the ski hill--they said the chairlifts were running. It was a beautiful day--we left and there wasn't a cloud in the sky. There were 3 chairlifts to get to the top of the mountain. We took the first one, hiked the second lift and then it started getting pretty cold and the clouds started rolling in. Sometimes, we couldn't see the top of the hill. There was a break in the clouds so we took the last chairlift. It was great up there but very cold and then the clouds moved back in--the ride down was very cold. They were renting coats at the bottom of the hill for 300 tenge--I guess we should of gone for the deal of the day. Once again, I should of listened to the old man that walked up to us and told us in Russian--couldn't quite understand him but I got the point--dress your kids better, they need jackets. I think that is the third time in a year that I have been reprimanded for that. One time a man gave me a little shove and then proceeded to bawl me out that Cody should have his coat on and that it should not be in the grocery cart. I gave him my best "drop dead" look and I think he too got the point.
Dave thought this sign was the best. These people hiked all the ways up--she was wearing flip flops!!! As we hiked down, they waved to us from the chair lift. When we were hiking up, there was a man that yelled at us in English, asking where we were from and we told him--he was from Russia and then laughily added "The Rockies Suck!" What is up with that? He didn't make any new friends that day.
These animals were at the top of the second chairlift--not sure what they are but I wasn't going to get too close--those are long horns. Dave went for the National Geographic photo while we hung back.








No comments: